What we believe
These doctrines are based on those set out In the Declaration of Principles of Queensland Baptists (the Baptist Union of Queensland).
- The Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God and the supreme authority and basis for all our beliefs and practices. (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- God exists as one God in three persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19, Ephesians 2:18, Hebrews 9:14, Deuteronomy 6:4)
- The Lord Jesus Christ is both divine – the only begotten Son of God, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity; and human – the son of the Virgin Mary. (Philippians 2:6-11, Colossians 1:15-20, Isaiah 7:14, Galatians 4:4)
- All people are born sinful and separated from God – and in need of God’s saving grace. (Romans 3:10–18, Romans 3:23, John 3:16)
- The Lord Jesus Christ has accomplished the forgiveness of sin and the freedom from the penalty and power of sin by His perfect obedience, death, resurrection, and present intercession. (John 14:6, Acts 4:12, 1 Peter 3:18, 1 Peter 2:24, Romans 8:34, Hebrews 7:25)
- The immediate work of the Holy Spirit in the rebirth of people, in bringing them to maturity in Christ, in gifting them according to His will for ministry and in guaranteeing their spiritual inheritance until they acquire complete possession of it.( Ephesians 1:13-14 and Ephesians 4:7, Ephesians 4:11-13; 1 Corinthians 12:4-6; 1 Corinthians 12:11-13)
- Salvation is only possible through repentance to God, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:38, Acts 4:12, Acts 16:30-31, and Acts 20:21)
- The dead will be resurrected and the final judgment of all people by the Lord Jesus Christ will happen. (2 Thessalonians 1:6-10, Hebrews 9:27, Revelation 20:1-15)
- The Lord Jesus will return visibly and gloriously to claim His own. (Acts 1:11, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)
- The two Ordinances of the Lord Jesus Christ are baptism and the celebration of the Lord’s Supper and are of perpetual obligation: Baptism being the immersion in water of believers upon the profession of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and a symbol of the fellowship of the regenerate in His death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:4); and The Lord’s Supper being a memorial, until He comes, of the sacrifice of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ (Luke 22:19 -20).